Student Volunteer Program
Be a part of groundbreaking work for children and youth with disabilities
Open to Undergraduate, graduate and doctorate students in the fields of:
- Autism Education
- Inclusive Education
- Special Education
- School-to-Work Transition
- Arts Therapy and/or other related fields.
- Physical Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Applied Behavior Analysis
- Speech and Language disorders
- Non-Profit management
- Global Development
- International Law
- Recreation and Tourism
- Latin American studies
2 week immersion program for organized student groups
Students participate in a full cultural and educational immersion program incorporating hours within the classrooms, specialists and staff. Participation with teacher/parent workshops, home visits, rural area visits with collaborating organizations, visit to orphanage, tours to local ruin sites and Machu Picchu.
Residential program for individuals (30-60 days)
Students select a program focus and create a specific project based on their area of interest and field of study. Students may participate in teacher or parent inservice days, visit student homes and rural communities.
Internship site for undergrad, graduate & doctorate students (30-90 days)
Based on previous collaboration with the your university. Interns will select a program focus and create a specific project based on their area of interest and field of study. Interns may participate with or host teacher/parent inservice days, visit student homes and rural communities.
Volunteer program will be individually project based depending on skill set, expertise and area of interest.
Volunteer hours can be spent across any of Manos Unidas Peru Programs or working with the Peruvian Board of Directors, leadership team or community based Disabled Persons Organizations and service providers.
Duration: 14 days – 6 months
March – December (School is closed Dec 21-March 1)
Accommodation: Volunteers will be housed in an independent apartment in the home of a Peruvian family. Meals will be served in the family’s home. The apartment is fully furnished with one bathroom, a fully equipped kitchen, living room and dining room table. Wi-fi is included. Vegetarian options are available.
- Accommodation with a local family
- 2 meals per day and tea time
- Support with travel arrangements to and within Peru
- Pre-Departure preparation
- Airport pickup
- Cultural orientation and introduction
- Weekly volunteer support throughout the program
- Coorindation fees
- Direct donation to Manos Unidas
- Spanish classes
- 4 day Trek OR 2 day visit to Macchu Picchu
- Cultural adventures
- Alternative day hikes in the sacred valley
- Women’s Circles in the Sacred Valley
- Sports Activities with locals
- Alternative trips to hot springs
- Local festivals
- Local transportation costs
- Food in restaurants
- Travel excursions within Peru
- Airfare to and from Peru
Application Fee: $150
Coordination fee: $500
Food + Housing: $180/week